Introduction to Universal Health Financing and the role of this in a Sustainable UHC System. Dr Muhammed Dogo, former ES, National Health Insurance Scheme.
- When health systems works you stand a chance of breaking the poverty cycle.
- Abuja declaration of 15% has been unattainable for Nigeria.
- Methods of financing health care services includes general taxation / public budget / tax, dedicated tax, out of pocket, social health insurance, private insurance, loans (Development banks), grants (subsidy from donors and development partners ), charity (religious organizations ).
- Nigeria has still not gotten it right.
- Government interventions – economic reforms, health sector reforms, improve access to quality health services, government hospital based initiatives.
- The rural areas contributes 90% of the burden of diseases and has 10% of the health services whilst the urban areas contributes 10% of the burden and has 90% of the health services.
- Proposed the 1kobo/sec sin tax.
- For UHC you need universal contributions. The advantages includes : ease of collection, volume, sustainability, reliability, scaling up.
- Going forward we need to complete overhaul of the system and improve political will.
THE ROLE OF THE NHIS IN SUSTAINABLE UHC- Dr Enyantu Ifenne, Chair of the Board, NHIS.
- There needs to be a shift from urban to rural
- Government must demonstrate ownership of funding for NHIS.
- We must move from handouts to ownership.
- Government must learn to leverage, pull resources and transfer funds with accountability.
- N/B there’s been no audit in the past 4-5 years of the NHIS.
- NHIS needs an ICT platform.
Dr. Dogo and Dr. Enyantu acknowledged and agreed to work on the packaging of the CSOs advocacy asks for the 1kobo/sec sin tax.