A COMMUNIQUE OF ACTIONS
We, the members of the Legislative Network on Universal Health Coverage, held our Third Annual Summit from 13th – 15th November, 2019 at Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja, under the chairmanship of Distinguished Senator Ahmed Lawan, Senate President, Federal Republic of Nigeria.
We recognize and commend the efforts of the Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDA) at all levels and acknowledge the support that the Development Partners (World Bank, WHO, E.U. UNFPA, UNICEF, UKAid, CIDA, BMGF, R4D, WAAPH, Palladium, Malaria Consortium), Civil Society Organizations and other stakeholders are providing towards increasing Universal Health Coverage, and delivery of technical support.
We have equally OBSERVED some critical issues affecting achievement of UHC in Nigeria, such as:
- The absence of Health Agenda to guide Legislative Actions towards achieving Universal Health Coverage across the country.
- Some aspects of the guidelines for managing the BHCPF are not in consonance with provisions of the NHAct
- The current level of resources (human, equipment, infrastructure) militate against achievement of UHC in the country.
- Payment for care at the point of use (whether through explicit policies on user fees or informal payments) causes financial hardship for those that do seek health care.
- Poor compliance to Appropriation Act
- Weak oversights
In view of the above, we RESOLVE to:
- Ensuring finalization and implementation of legislative health agenda at national and state levels towards achieving Universal Health Coverage.
- Working with governments, the private sector, development partners, and civil society organizations towards ensuring that every Nigerian is able to access a full-range of health services at all levels.
- Encouraging all financial risks associated with seeking care are mitigated.
To achieve this, we COMMIT to doing the following:
- National Assembly amending relevant sections of the National Health Act
- Ensuring speedy review, passage and assent of National Health Insurance Commission Bill
- Ensuring passage of State Health Insurance (SHIS) Bills in states without a health insurance scheme
- Ensuring full implementation of legislative health agenda at national and state levels
- Ensuring revision of the present BHCPF guidelines to be in consonance with the NHAct
- Providing oversight of operations of the NHIS
- Providing oversight of operations of tertiary health institutions
- Ensuring the BHCPF guidelines reflect the provisions of the Act
- Monitoring and evaluating implementation and impact of BHCPF
- Ensuring that government and the private sector are accountable
- Ensuring increased appropriation to the BHCPF
- Working towards increasing Health Budget
- Ensure innovative funding mechanisms to increase funds availability to health
- Ensuring that state health insurance budget is on first line charge